Kempegowda Tower @Hudson Circle
The ‘Kempegowda Tower’ was planned by the Bangalore Mahanagara Palike in 2004, as part of the annual Kempegowda Day celebrations. The BMP which has the Kempegowda tower as its logo was constructed to restore the cultural heritage of Bangalore, giving it a touch of modernity. The tower, 60ft in height was built with Sagarahalli Granite, the same stone used in the construction of Vikasa Soudha.
Bangalore is nearly 500 years old and has grown from a small time settlement when Kempe Gowda, the architect of Bangalore, built a mud fort in 1537 and his son marked the city boundaries by erecting four watch towers. These four towers credited to have founded Bangalore, are in Lalbagh, Kempambudhi tank, Mekhri Circle and Ulsoor. Still unknown a fact to most Bangaloreans is that historians refer to four more towers as the City’s boundaries at Gavi Gangadhareswara, Nanjamba Agrahara, Basavanna Temple and near Binny Mills. These have not yet been traced!