Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Rolled & Roasted Happala...

Rolled & Roasted Papads kept ready to be served in a fine dining Indian restaurant. There are many ways and sizes these are prepared. The smaller ones can be eaten like a snack chip and the larger ones can be used to make wraps. Sometimes described as a cracker or flatbread,the recipe varies from region to region and infact from home to home, but typically it is made from lentil, chickpea, black gram or rice flour.In Dakshina Kannada district, jackfruit and sabudana are also used as ingredients in making of Happala. In North India lentil variety is more popular and is usually called 'papad'. Pappad is also known as "Happala" in the Kannada language.
Papads or Papadums are typically served as an accompaniment to an Indian meal, they are served along with the main course in southern or at the end of it in Northern India. Both ways it is an integral part of any Indian meal. It is also eaten as an appetizer or a snack and can be eaten topped with various toppings such as chopped onions, chutney or other dips and condiments. In certain parts of India raw papads (dried but unroasted) are used in curries and vegetable preparations.

7 comments:

Arun Ramarathnam Wed May 30, 09:01:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Rajesh, Please consider listing your post tags on the right pane. Will give quick access to photos by tag. This is a great photo blog. Very rich with great perspective. Kudos. I know a photo a day is very difficult.
Regards
Arun
http://bangaloreview.blogspot.com
(my photo blog)

Unknown Wed May 30, 12:03:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Thanks Arun, I am not sure with the classic template Blogger offers I can have the Tags displayed, I am reluctant to move on the new widget based template as I would lose most of my code I use in sade bars...
:((

Keep visiting!!

Anonymous Wed May 30, 06:56:00 PM GMT+5:30  

You can do it by copying the code for the present site you have the code for and then try the new one and if you don't like it you can come back with the old one.

I am also relucant to change for the same reasons. It is difficult to do and I don't really like the new ones.

I like your photo today. I always like native foods.

Anonymous Thu May 31, 12:29:00 AM GMT+5:30  

I was surprised to see these papad snacks in air tight attractive aluminium foil baga at gourmet food stores in North America. It is such a bummer!

If I may ask can you post larger pictures. Sometimes the gravity that the pictures offers gets lost in its size.

R.A. Levin Thu May 31, 02:38:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Mmm! It may or may not be acceptable table manners, but I like to scoop up the last bits of gravy (Esp. on Navaratan Korma or Baingan Bharta) with one. Sometimes the rice doesn't catch everything! :))
Good with extra hot Mango Chutney, too!

-Robert

R.A. Levin Thu May 31, 02:52:00 AM GMT+5:30  

After thinking about my first reply on this...I have to admit to something. I like using the Pappad AS the utensil, rather than bothering with a fork. :))

Cheers!

-Robert

Unknown Thu May 31, 09:42:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Thanks...

Meera, click on the pictures and you will get the large size images, that's the way you can enjoy the details. I always post the original ones ( goes more than 1.5 MB or even higer sometimes)

Robert, I was surprised to checkout the numerous ways papads are prepared and consumed here..that sound like an opportunity for a book!! like someone said "Be a Roman in rome" going by the same way eat Indian food like an Indian...use your hands!!