Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sweet ‘Taati Nungu’..

A roadside vendor seen busy taking out the Taati Nungu, Targole (singular form is Targola), the fruits of Palm trees… Known as ‘Nunguu’ in Tamil, ‘Tadgola’ in Marathi and Gujarati, ‘Taati munjalu’ in Andhra, ‘Taati bonda’ in Tulu, ‘Taati Nungu’ in Kannada…

They are soft, juicy grey-whitish, slimmy sweet and cool fruit covered with a cream cover that tastes bitter. This is found in groups of three inside palm fruits. Usually available in summer.. They have peelable skins and thick, edible pulp (kind of between thin malai and hard copra, in terms of coconut meat). The pulp surrounds a bit of sweet juice; as you bite into the fruit…

9 comments:

Anonymous Tue May 08, 06:03:00 PM GMT+5:30  

An interesting photograph and narrative. I learn something each time I come here and visit your blog.

I got to fly last night. I mean I just dove in and flew. You can find out how on my blog post today.

Anonymous Tue May 08, 09:27:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Remember eating these on Summer nights in Bangalore (70s, 80s). For some reason, the vendors hawked them vigorously in the evenings. Apparently, they arrived in Bengalooru from Chennai on evening trains.

MumbaiiteAnu Wed May 09, 12:52:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Yummy, I love targolas. They simply quench your thirst in summer, and still leave you craving for more. Here in Mumbai, you get six targolas for Rs.10

Anonymous Wed May 09, 03:12:00 AM GMT+5:30  

mmm i just lov these! lovely picture :) keep it up

Unknown Wed May 09, 09:14:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Thanks...

I was blessed with having the tadgola's in alibaug ( 100km from mumbai) in my childhood summer holidays on my uncles farm. That's very nostalgic...

keeps me going!!

Slogan Murugan Mon May 14, 10:35:00 AM GMT+5:30  

yum!

Unknown Wed Apr 08, 09:36:00 PM GMT+5:30  

yammeee..... it looks!it is very yummy in taste also.the water from each targola mmmmmm very sweet...

ricky muthukumaraswamy Thu Aug 26, 12:16:00 PM GMT+5:30  

I am from Sri Lanka and this fruit is called Panam Pazham in Tamil. It is very tasty. The pulp of this fruit is made into a sticky toffee like thing called "pinattu" which I relished very much. I long to have this toffee.
The tree itself provides toddy tapped out of the flowers which is an intoxicating juice, full of vitamin B.

shobha Mon May 16, 12:41:00 PM GMT+5:30  

its very tasteeee