Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Blooming Gulmohar...

Blooming Gulmohar starts painting the city 'Red and Orange', the two prominent shades one can observer in Bangalore, the blooming sontinues till May. It is believed that as the summer gets hottest, Gulmohar flowering gets darker and mosre colourful...

Gulmohar, The Royal Poinciana, Delonix regia (family Fabaceae), is a tropical or subtropical flowering plant. It is also known by the names Gulmohar, Flamboyant Tree, Peacock Flower, Flame of the Forest, and Flame Tree. A deciduous tropical tree with fern-like leaves, that is considered one of the most beautiful trees in the world! Although it is a fast grower, it can take up to 10 years to mature.

4 comments:

magiceye Tue Apr 10, 10:55:00 AM GMT+5:30  

yes they sure look very attractive and when they fall you have a red carpet!

Anonymous Tue Apr 10, 03:48:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Hey..tis been long! nice pic, infact i lik the sky color in the backdrop...it luks dark, as tho it wil rain...but no rain :(
Kay

TOG Fri Apr 13, 10:42:00 PM GMT+5:30  

I grow the Gulmohar but we call it Poinciana. I have a rare color form, my flowers are yellow. I looked at your tree and to me it looks like one of the cassia family.

Anonymous Wed May 02, 03:09:00 AM GMT+5:30  

oh yes there are yellow gulmohar flowers too. I have seen these luscious yellows at the IIT campus and the firy red at the neighbouring campus in Powai. I lust after these flowers.Like the bougonvilla may be I will grow them in my backyard! wish it could be grown bonsai.