Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hollywood, Bollywood to Sandalwood...


The Indian film industry is the largest in the world in terms of number of films (877 feature films and 1177 short films made in India were released in the year 2003 alone);[1] compared with 473 films released in the US in 2003.[2] An Indian film personality Sandeep Marwah has produced 1000 short films which is the highest in the world by an individual.Movie tickets in India are among the cheapest in the world (the average ticket costs US$0.20; in comparison, the average ticket in the US in 2005 cost US$6.41). India accounts for 73% of Asia-Pacific movie admissions, currently estimated at US$2.9 billion. Refer...

The Kannada film industry, based in Karnataka, is sometimes called 'Sandalwood', as Karnataka is known for its sandalwood; however, this term does not seem to be in widespread use. The most popular actor in Kannada films was late Dr. Rajkumar or "Dr. Raj", as he is known to his fans. He had acted in over 200 movies and is a recipient of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award. More..
 Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Annie Tue Nov 07, 09:08:00 AM GMT+5:30  

It sounds as though I should come to India for movies. I don't think I've ever seen an Indian movie - but then I really haven't seen many movies. I guess I'm out of fashion that way.

pandit Tue Nov 07, 09:52:00 AM GMT+5:30  

I still remember first 3-D movie ever made in India "Chota Chetan" back in 80's . I was so curious those days to watch that movie wearing special glasses.
I'm not sure whether any Indian movie came out with an iMax format.

david c welker Tue Nov 07, 10:13:00 PM GMT+5:30  

monsoon wedding. only indian movie i've seen.

somebody Wed Nov 08, 12:25:00 AM GMT+5:30  

I`ve seen Bollywood movies where all the woman look like beauty queens!

Unknown Thu Nov 09, 09:31:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Thanks...

Annie > plan a trip, there are more than few dozen movie halls in bangalore..

Pandit > I share the same...i remember 'chota Rajan' via red plastic glasses...yes, there are few movies in iMax format...

Marieta > you bet, the india is known for miss universes turned actresses...