Thursday, April 17, 2008

Koyal, The Nightingale of India

Rising up from bed early morning is now helped by melodious sweet calls from Asian Koyal, (Eudynamys Scolopacea) formerly also Common Koel, is a member of the cuckoo order of birds, the Cuculiformes.

The word koel also means "nightingale" in India because of the Indian Koel's melodious call. This calls make me at ease as its supposed to foreshadow rain. here is the one sitting atop a forest fire tree...

Listen to the soundbyte from Isabel's blog here...

4 comments:

Isabel Thu Apr 17, 02:09:00 PM GMT+5:30  

I can hear this bird outside my window as I read this! I'm glad to finally learn its name.

Could you tell me if this is the same bird who's call I recorded and posted on my blog? If you visit my blog, under 'listen to the sounds of India' in the right sidebar, there's a clip of 'birdsong at dawn'. Could you listen to it and tell if it's the same bird? No one has so far told me the name. If you could solve the mystery for me, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Isabel.

Unknown Thu Apr 17, 02:23:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Hey, that's the one!! Thanks for this soundbyte, it's melodious indeed!!

Ingrid Thu Apr 17, 04:38:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Lovely!

Isabel Fri Apr 18, 08:05:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Thank you Rajes - mystery solved!